When it comes to organizing your refrigerator, it can be the center of organization and chaos all in one. With a clean, organized refrigerator you can prepare better meals, utilize everything with less spoilage and prevent buying duplicate items. I find the best time for me to wipe down and organize my refrigerator is while I put away a fresh load of groceries. Some find it better to organize and clean before you go grocery shopping so you can see what you need. Keeping the refrigerator clean and organized will make things easier for your family to locate what you are looking for. As well as, maximize your food’s shelf life.
Try to have a system with your refrigerator and put things back in the same spots. Make sure to keep older items to the front and newer in the back so you’re always using what needs to be eaten/prepared first. Try to keep the outside of the refrigerator clear and organized with limited papers, if you do have papers, remove any outdated or unnecessary papers. Keep things off the top of the refrigerator and wipe it down. You can put a basket on top to place lose items that you need to store there.
Here are a few tips that will help you keep your refrigerator clean and organized for good:
- Keep a list of leftovers on the outside of your refrigerator with the date the meal was prepared. This reminds everyone of what’s available so it will get eaten.
- Place healthy items that you need to eat more of in the front of the refrigerator and fatty food in the back to help you eat healthier.
- After cleaning out your refrigerator, look at what you threw away and whether it went rotten or stale. If you have a lot of leftovers, consider making smaller meals.
- Use the clear, plastic, handled baskets you can buy at the dollar store to contain loose items that are falling out when you open the door.
- Use one drawer in your refrigerator for bottled drinks so they are not rolling around the inside of your refrigerator.
You can read more about refrigerator organization and get a copy of my book here.