Believe it or not we spend a third of our life sleeping! This is why it is so important to give yourself the gift of a tranquil bedroom. Clutter in your bedroom interferes with your sleep and even cause problems in your relationship. I cannot think of anything worse for a good night’s sleep then staring at stacks of clutter before I shut my eyes!
As you start this week, ask yourself these questions:
What is your vision for your bedroom?
What does your dream bedroom look like and what will you need to do with your current room to meet those needs?
This week I will help you create an organized bedroom that provides the peace and tranquility your soul deserves!
This Week’s Goal’s:
1. Remove everything in your bedroom that:
- does not belong
- you don’t love
2. Keep a minimal amount of furniture in your bedroom. You’ll have more open space and few places to lay clutter.
Reduce the furniture you need by:
- Mounting your television to the wall
- Maximizing vertical space by using tall shelves or an armoir
- Eliminating comfy chairs—they are typically used as a clotheshorses instead of seats making them eyesores
- Using bed raisers to increase under-bed storage space
- Finding a different room to store exercise equipment—it’s not restful and again is used as a clotheshorse
3. Choose colors and patterns for your bedroom that feel restful and peaceful to you. You can post a picture on www.houzz.com and interior designers will give you their free advice and input!
4. Keep the top of your night stand clutter free!
* Make it a priority to make your bed every single morning. Your room will look better and crawling into a neat bed will feel much more rest at the end of a long day.
* Invest in bedding that makes you feel special and helps you look forward to getting into bed at night. Cozy blankets, soft sheets and comfortable pillows are so worth it, higher quality, higher thread count items last much longer, saving you money long term.
I have waited a long time for a grown-up, tranquil bedroom and I finally have one. So many places I have lived provided a nice bedroom but not one I would have chosen. When we built our home I had the privilege of designing a bedroom that could be just for my husband and I. When building a home with someone it is a series of give and take to incorporate both people’s wishes. My husband wanted a front porch; I wanted a porch off of my bedroom so we have both. I wanted our bedroom to be personal so we have photos of our wedding, him and I together when I was pregnant and one of our honeymoon. We have a sign that says “Love Captures Us in a Moment and Changes Us Forever”. We have a silver “J” and “B” hanging on the wall because that is both of our initials. We don’t have a ton of décor in there but what we do have is very special to us as a couple.
I recently switched to all white bedding…a little scary at first but it really makes the room look clean and fresh! Plus, since I am a person that gets bored with things quickly; I can easily switch the look with new pillows and décor whenever the urge arrives. How do you feel about your bedroom? If you are brave post a picture here and share with me. I will be happy to give you input!
*To read my entire chapter on how to organize a tranquil bedroom pick up my newest book: Organize Now! Think & Live Clutter Free.
Latest posts by Jennifer Ford Berry (see all)
- Video: Time Management Help - February 24, 2017
- Video: Time Management Introduction - February 22, 2017
- Cook’s Companion Digital Wonder Pot: a small appliance worth having - February 20, 2017