How to Organize Your Family Room: Your family room should be a place where you can relax, read, watch TV or spend time with family and friends. It is very important that everything has a designated home so that cleanup is quick and easy and you can be ready for company in fifteen minutes or less.
Episode Talking Points:
1. Decide the functions of your family room. This isn’t complicated; simply list all the things you do in this room. Possible functions include a gathering place, a play area for children, a work area for you, a place to watch television or read, a place to exercise. There are no wrong answers. It’s your house; use it in a way that best suits your lifestyle.
2. Remove everything that does not go along with the function of the room. Grab a laundry basket, a garbage bag, and a plastic bin and remove everything that does not serve the function of the family room.
3. Sort through shelves, drawers, and furniture and remove everything that you no longer love or use. Set up piles labeled: donate, sell, and garbage.
5. Designate one spot for the TV remote control so you can always find it. You could use a basket, drawer or a pocket organizer that can hang over the arm of the sofa.&
6. Break the room down into zones based on the function of the room. These zones will become “home” for the things you use in the room. So toys and games go in one area, books go in another, movies go in another, work goes in another. Each zone should have its own shelving or furniture with built-in storage to hold or hide these items.
7. Replace dirty or non-matching lamp shades. This will improve the quality of lighting and improve the appearance of the room.
8. Unclutter your walls. Takedown everything and then only put back your very favorite things.
9. Keep one basket for magazines and newspapers. Keep only the current issues and recycle the rest.
10. Clear off the mantel if you have one. This is probably a focal point of the room so clean it off and only replace a few of your favorite items.
Important Links For This Episode:
Are you subscribed to The 29 Minute Mom podcast? If not, I want to encourage you to do that so you never miss an episode. SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW
If you enjoy the show, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear your feedback. Please consider leaving me a review, I promise you I truly appreciate your time! Reviews help me so much. I will even read them during the show so go ahead and mention your business if you have one!
For more detailed instructions on how to find the podcast and/or leave a review click this post.
* If you enjoyed this episode you may also enjoy Episodes 15, 17 and 19 (see below).
- The 29 Minute Mom Facebook
- The 29 Minute Mom Pinterest
- The 29 Minute Mom Instagram
- The 29 Minute Mom YouTube